Sunday, September 19, 2010

Book Review - 10,001 Ways To Live Large On A Small Budget


Amazon link
 When I first heard of this book one of our readers encouraged me to do a book review of it for the blog.  I was happy to find a copy of it at our local library.  When I went to pick it up I have to admit I was a little disappointed because it seemed so big and I thought "I'm so busy, I'll never get this all read".  In a quick flip through I noticed it was very well organized so reference book immediately came to mind.  But guess what?
I love this book!
It is well organized, lots of ideas, and very funny!  Before the end of the first evening we were passing the book around and pointing out sections and nodding our heads.


The authors are the writers of Wise Bread and reading their personal bios was a tribute to the vast amount of knowledge and talent went into the writing of the book.  The interesting part was that all look to be around their 30s but many of the ideas they list sounds just like my grandmother.  So, I was happy to see that good ideas are passed on from generation to generation. 

So here are the subjects as outlined in the table of contents:
Introduction
Frugal Living
Food & Drink
Travel
Health & Beauty
Fun & Entertainment
Shopping & Bargain Hunting
Green Living
Education & Self-Improvement
Personal Finance
Financial Planning & Budgeting
Credit Cards & Debt
Investing Your Money
Housing & Home Improvement
Career & Money-Making Ideas
Resources
Author Bios
Index

One of the best things about the book was that it was truely entertaining.  The Amazon site will allow you to scroll through the book to get an idea of the writing style.  One of the most interesting sections was knowing the signs of when you might be next in line to get laid off or fired.  We read it with nervous chuckling as I realized I had seen all these in different companies I had worked for and never tried to actually verbalize what I was observing.  So true. 

A enjoyable book to read and pass around.  It would make great Christmas gift for newly frugal converts. 

2 comments:

Parag said...

Once you know how much you earn you need to decide how to allocate your income into categories such as food, housing, transportation, recreation, debts, etc. The best way to do this is to track your spending for a month or two or look over your bills and receipts for the past few months. This should give you an initial idea of how you currently spend your money. From here you can make a plan for how you want to manage your money.
Personal Budgeting

Anonymous said...

I've spent the weekend email back and forth with my 84yr old great Aunt trying to get her to tell me about her frugal childhood (I need some new ideas!). I think I'll read this book instead!