Wednesday, June 2, 2010

In The Trenches - Healthy Living

How are you feeling today?  Do you have your head held high, shoulders back, and a bounce to your step?  If your answer is no then the stress of being In The Trenches financially might be robbing you of your joy.  One of the quickest ways to combat this is to focus on healthy living and make a concerted effort to take charge of some of the habits you might have been neglecting.  We may not be able to control all of the circumstances and events in our lives but we can use the time to get back to the basics of good health.  I'm personally starting my own program and working my way down the list.  Here are some ideas to get you started.  And, they don't cost money.

1.  Get some sunshine and fresh air everyday.
2.  Drink 8 glasses of water.
3.  Eat vegetables and fruit.
4.  Cut back on bad habits like smoking and drinking.
5.  Take a walk everyday.
6.  Sing a happy song.  Leave the blues and country until you're feeling better.
7.  Pick up a new excercise.  Here are some I have tried:
     Shoot hoops
     Hit a tennis ball against the backboard or find another player.
     Badmitton.  That's a fun one.
     Take the family or the family dog for a walk.
     Walk to the elementary school and play on the jungle gym.
     Throw a baseball or football around with your kids.
     Swim.
     Run or jog.

Speaking of running.  Forest Gump had the right idea.  When faced with heartbreak he just started running and didn't stop until he was done.  My son picked up running a while back and now has done a couple of marathons.

Yes, I've tried all of these.  They are not habits I have necessarily continued but at the time they were a big help and cleared my mind and body with fresh circulation and ideas. 

SmileyCentral.com

4 comments:

Olivia said...

As spring and summer bring good weather, I'm starting to do as you suggest. Getting a walking buddy has been a great help. We keep each other accountable.

Carol Schultz said...

I'm starting myself and can really notice a difference in how I feel on the days I do or don't. Especially notice it in my posture. How far are you walking?

ctreit said...

I am almost good with the entire list except for one thing. I can't sing. Even when I want to sing only to myself, it can make me shudder. That is how bad it is. So, let me offer an alternative. Listen to a happy song!

Carol said...

Funny. My mother was like that. (Sorry mom). It was really quite shocking the first and only time I heard her sing. lol