Sunday, December 11, 2011

Independents Day Awakening the American Spirit book review

My recent book choices have been primarily found at the library, book sales, or garage sales.  I bring home a bag of interesting titles and read them when the mood strikes.  Independents Day - Awakening the American Spirit by Lou Dobbs was one such book.  Amazon currently has the book on sale for the bargain price of $1.30.

 The only way I can think to describe it is that I finally saw the elephant.

I am probably one of the few people who tries to stay abreast of developments in the United States but had never heard of Lou Dobbs, formerly of CNN news, until I picked up this book.  That may be surprising but it was around 2007 that the more I watched the news on t.v. the more the bias and slant was clearly visible to me.  So I quit watching.   (For the record, I know nothing of the man beyond this book so I make no representations of his character, etc in case some major scandal breaks out or he holds some crazy viewpoints I am unaware of.) Since then there are certain topics I follow but do so by watching headline news on the internet, reading books, and doing my own research on the subjects.  Some I write about and some I don't.  Included are:
  • The banking industry
  • The housing crisis
  • The U.S. economy
  • Outsourcing of jobs
  • Illegal Immigration
  • Education
  • The Welfare system
  • Politicians
  • The impact and future of all of the above
Some of these topics and the books I have read are written about in this blog.  At times it is somewhat annoying to both myself and others because in the midst of the conversations about everyday things and events I have to bite my tongue to not start in what people classify a "political" discussion.  Especially among women there are few that I have found who want to engage in these topics.  So I keep my nose in my books and keep reading.

 Along comes Lou Dobbs and in one book he has chapters on ALL my favorite topics:
  1. A Superpower Struggle
  2. Inflection Points
  3. Two Parties, No Choice
  4. Power to the People
  5. The Imperious Presidency
  6. Debtor Nation
  7. Shadow Government
  8. God and Politics
  9. Crossing the Line
  10. Eating Our Young
  11. Nation in Denial
  12. Media Madness
  13. Independent Thinking and the American Spirit
His approach is what he defines as nationalism which is seeing America (and all countries) as independent, separate entities whose policies should meet the most important needs of their own nation first.  Contrast that to what is now often referred to as the Global Economy.  The difference between the two mindsets drastically effects the choices and decisions made on all policy, military, and economic fronts.  One of the most challenging and persuasive subjects covered in the book is Who is Running the Show now?  What are their goals?  And why are the voices of the American people not being heard though they are speaking louder and louder?
A man who FINALLY gets it. Lou Dobbs describes himself as an Independent populist.I am grateful to Lou Dobbs for writing this book as his work substantiates and documents my own viewpoints and Lou has had a full time job and staff of researchers to document his findings.  I say this because so many of us watch and see what is going on but then the news and reports that deny or spin what we are able to see with our own eyes.   If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is a duck...but in this case an elephant.

So what is with the elephant?  For years I have read about, thought about, and discussed all the pieces but it was this book that opened my eyes to see that all of these topics are part of the same animal.  This book pulls together what may seem to be unrelated topics and shows how they are all interrelated and yes, have the same source for their cause, are no accident, and not even negligence.  They are purposeful ruination of the American culture and ideals by those same people who are flying around in their golden parachutes.  I would not and did not see how the pieces fit together but the picture is now crystal clear. 

    On other occasions my book reviews have expounded on the details of a book but in this instance I would encourage anyone who has an interest in education, the rising cost of pharmaceutical drugs, illegal immigration, politics that seem to offer no choice or action, or any other topic that is of major importance to this country -- read the book.  Whether you choose to read a chapter or cover to cover I think you will find that Lou Dobbs has expressed the voice of the American people that others have tried to ignore.
    I look forward to reading his other book War on the Middle Class: How the Government, Big Business, and Special Interest Groups Are Waging War on the American Dream and How to Fight Back . The book is also available at a reduced price in Kindle format or free from the library.  Another interesting title is Exporting America: Why Corporate Greed Is Shipping American Jobs Overseas If you would like updated news here is the official website that has daily news feeds.
      Time is moving forward.  Could it be that our progress is hindered by the forces whose goals are contrary to the best interests of the American people?  It would seem so.

    3 comments:

    Carol Schultz said...

    I admit I had a lot of fun with those photos! Hope they are entertaining. :)

    Olivia said...

    I appreciate your book suggestions. Will pass your article on, as we do talk about politics in our house.

    Carol Schultz said...

    Hope you let me know what you think of it.