Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Financial Survival Strategy 143

When we are In The Trenches the battle may seem long and weary.  Bills pile up, creditors begin to call, and the car breaks down.  The mental fatigue of the battle can be exhausting. 

I have listed this strategy as number 143 because it is often so far down the list that we don't often use it.  The power of this weapon is tremendous but often our last resort. 


Count your blessings.

This may seem totally bizarre and strange to those who have not used it before. It is much more than a mental feel good strategy.

What is good in your life?  List and count them.
  • Your health?
  • Your spouse?
  • Running water and a toilet that flushes?
  • Children?
  • Sunshine?
  • Health?
  • Talents?
  • Your favorite easy chair or comfortable bed?
  • The blue jay in the tree?
  • The public library?
  • Can you list 50 things that you consider good and a blessing in your life?

How does this weapon work?  When you begin to try it you will immediately feel an ease in the battle. You will recognize the tools and blessings you have to work with in your own personal life and they can be translated into choices and options.  We become aware of all that is available and at our disposal. This will help in setting priorities in such a manner that we can reach optimum potential.  The glass will no longer be half empty but half full.

The battle of our finances does not begin in our budget.  It begins in our minds.  How do I know?  I've been there. Which road will you choose? Hope or despair?  Perseverance or giving up? Victory or defeat?

Count Your Blessings and tell them to others.   Soon your head will be held higher, the sunshine will be brighter, the options more visible, and the road to victory more attainable.  If you haven't used this weapon before try it today and let me know how it works for you.

4 comments:

Joe Plemon said...

Carol,
This is a great reminder of something that will help every one of us and doesn't cost a penny.

I remember a conversation of several women who were discussing which kitchen convenience they couldn't life without. One said, "microwave" while another was proud of her new refrigerator freezer and a third bragged on her oven. An elderly woman, after listening to these younger ones, said, "I can't speak for you girls, but I will take running water every time."

We don't have to look far to find what we are thankful for.

Carol said...

Funny! And yes, your joke points absolutely to the things we take for granted.

I am the working poor. said...

A wonderful reminder for all who are facing difficult times!

Practical Parsimony said...

I tried this! I had joined a weight-loss group where each week one person took her turn at telling what she was grateful/thankful for in her life.

After listening to "Jesus, who died for my sins," "my precious Savior that I will meet some day," and "my God who holds my mother in his arms" type stuff for several months, I then took my turn.

Like other people I did not have a long list--color, my mother who formed my character, children and grandchildren, my education, and knowing how to sew. I heard the snorts and guffaws as I had a short statement about each.

The next week we were back to the same litany as before. Then, the person next to me said, "At least YOU had something real."

Actually, color is very real for me. So is my mother's influence, children, grandchildren,my sewing skill,and my education.

After examining the whole experience at this group, I decided that limited people were negatively affecting my attempts at weight loss.

I never went back.