Here are a couple of our family traditions that if you haven't thought of already you may enjoy:
1. When we sit down at the table each person shares something that they are thankful for. This is especially fun with kids because one never knows what might come out of a four year old's mouth.
2. Invite over people we know that may not have family living close by. There is always plenty of food to go around and in my mind no one should have to be alone on this special day.
3. Call the out of town relatives. My morning is not complete without talking to each of my grown children.
4. Put all the worries and projects aside at least for today. There will be time enough for that tomorrow.
5. Share one of your favorite recipes. At our family dinners each person has their special contribution. I can't think of Thanksgiving without thinking of my friend Tammy's cherry cheesecake, Aunt Rosie's mincemeat pie, or Mom's sauerkraut relish. If you feel like giving a treasure write out the recipe and pass it on. If you want it to remain your special secret I get that too, the memory will not fade.
6. Smile at and hug everyone who walks through the door and when they leave, even if or maybe especially if you don't like them. No one can get enough hugs.
These little things make Thanksgiving my favorite holiday of the year.
Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving and hope that you are able to enjoy the bounty of family, friends, and food.